If information alone moved people to green living, we wouldn't be in this muddle. The verdict is in, the science has spoken: Climate change is real and our behaviour is at least partially responsible.
Subscribe to the Queen of Green digest
But people often listen with their hearts, not their heads. For transformative change, we need more than science to speak. We need you!
Your words are powerful. Your commitment is inspiring. And your friends listen to you.
Green Coaches make waves of change
The proof is in the (organic) pudding! This spring, 20 Queen of Green Coaches guided five families each through four green living modules. And their friends and family didn't just listen — they took action.
Now all across the country they're cooking real foods, tending gardens, revamping cosmetics, amending cleaners, forming communities around nature — and influencing others. People who knew deep down they should probably be doing more, are doing more — a lot more!
- Eighty-three per cent of families say they've gained new green living skills,
- Half of the participants now frequently consider toxins when making consumer decisions,
- More than three-quarters of the families are spending more time in nature,
- And every family has reported that they intend to continue practicing what they've learned!
It wasn't experts that incited this flurry. It was people like you. One hundred per cent of the families who were coached in the fall of 2013 reported that having a coach helped inspire change in their home!
Our Queen of Green coaches were selected from over 120 applicants from all over Canada. They're parents and grandparents, students and professionals. And just like all the rest of us, they're busy, imperfect and full of questions.
They made change. You can, too!
- Apply to the Queen of Green Fall 2013 program by completing this survey
- Recruit five families in your community and guide them through four green living modules over three months
- Share your knowledge and passion about food, waste, toxins and community building— we'll help!
- Meet me online bi-weekly to review material, practice leadership skills and learn from David Suzuki Foundation staff
Science helps us understand our world. Experts measure, analyze and recommend. But we need you — your stories, your voice — to make real change happen!
Tovah Paglaro, Queen of Green
P.S. Comment with your favourite bit of green-inspiration. The best story will be rewarded a with an all-natural (and all good) home spa kit courtesy of NavInspired. All of you who didn't win the DIY Pedicure for naturally fabulous feet, here's your second chance!