Are you the eco-friendliest person in your home? I am.
Family members can be the hardest to "green" — I know and I'm paid to do this!
Comment on this blog with how you successfully "greened" a family member. The entire Queen of Green community (and I) can try it, too.
You'll also be entered to win up to a $100 prize package of sustainable goodies (e.g., a recycled textile area rug, rechargeable batteries, a stainless steel coffee pot or LED nightlight) donated by IKEA Canada (@IKEACanada)! (Draw date: May 21, 2015.)
Step one: Appreciate that most people are doing their best (and value the same things you do)!
Step two: Host a family meeting to create new house rules.
Subscribe to the Queen of Green digest
How to establish "green" house rules
- To avoid eye rolling and the "groan zone" — where people get irritated and bring low energy — provide pizza and brownies (or both).
- Hold space. Trust that you know enough to lead!
- Ask each family member to contribute at least one new house rule. No rule is too small or too big. (You'll be surprised at the solutions already in them.)
- Write the rules down and post for all to see. Use sticky notes on a dedicated wall or bulletin board.
- Set dates for when new house rules should be implemented (consider offering a prize or incentive).
- If competition suits your family, make it a challenge. Who can save the most water? Whose house rule most reduced the power bill?
- Challenge your relatives to do the same or invite the neighbours to play along.
- Be open to the idea that things will turn out better than planned!
Submit your #HouseRules to IKEACanada
Take another minute, before April 27th, to submit a rule and share it online with IKEACanada and on Twitter @IKEACanada hashtag #HouseRules. You'll be eligible to win one of five sustainability product kits (in addition to my draw here).
The best part about going "green" as a family?
Embracing being on a team can make most of us more effective. And collaborative solutions are more likely to work than trying to go it alone.
Please comment below with advice on how you successfully "greened" a family member or share a new house rule and be entered to win a $100 prize package of sustainable goodies donated by IKEA Canada @IKEACanada (Winner is Emily of Ontario!).
Lindsay Coulter, a fellow Queen of Green