You tote reusable shopping bags to the store. Now bring a few eco-friendly, fabric produce bags along, too.
These lightweight drawstring bags are often sold in sets of three. They make it easy for the cashier to weigh your items AND for you to carry and organize produce at home. They're washable, reusable, come in a variety of sizes and styles and the stretchy kind can carry a lot of stuff. They're also an excellent way to stop using plastic — even paper — produce bags.
Subscribe to the Queen of Green digest
The benefits of refusing plastic produce bags:
- The world doesn't need more plastic (we've already made plastic islands)
- Recycling plastic bags isn't the answer
- Grocery stores are going zero waste; we should, too
Other uses for reusable produce bags
- Pack your lunch inside (easy for kids to open)
- Shop for bulk dry goods like nuts, seeds, beans and flours
- Keep a fine mesh bag over your countertop fruit bowl to lock out fruit flies
Where do you buy reusable produce bags? What else do you use them for?
Lindsay Coulter, a fellow Queen of Green