Your fundraiser FAQ
What can the David Suzuki Foundation give me?
- Support materials, such as brochures, newsletters, information cards
- The name "David Suzuki Foundation" for any promotional materials
- Foundation web banners for your site
- A "David Suzuki Foundation Approved Fundraiser" logo for promotional materials.
- Content for your custom messaging, artwork and promotions
- A special thank you letter and certificate after your fundraiser is complete
- Tax receipts (as required)
What can't the David Suzuki Foundation do?
- Guarantee staff or volunteer support at/for your event
- Become a partner or member
- Promote your event/product to our members
- Offer use of our logo
What are some good event ideas?
- Dinner party
- Bake sale
- Afternoon tea
- Shore clean-up
- Costume party
- Movie night
- Sports day
- Car wash
- Yard sale
- A-thons (run-a-thon, swim-a-thon, etc.)
What fundraisers are going on right now?
- Check out our current fundraisers.
What are some ways I can make my event "green"?
- Email invites, or use 100% recycled paper
- Provide local, organic food and drinks
- Serve water in jugs, not bottled water
- Avoid throw-away utensils — go for reusable plates, glasses and cloth napkins
- Decorate with local flowers that are in season
- Ask your guests to carpool, take the bus, bike or walk to your event
- Don't give away useless swag or info sheets
- Make your sporting event green, or host a certified sustainable race
How do I ask for donations?
- Before your event, notify your guests ahead of the event that it is a fundraiser. E.g. "Donations accepted for the David Suzuki Foundation. Suggested $x per person"
- At your event, provide a container where guests can place their cheque or cash gifts, and slips of paper for credit card info and donation amount. Also provide a specific explanation of what cause the donation is supporting
- Make an announcement at your event. Tell you guests why the environment is important to you, and ask the group to donate a specific amount
- At the end of your event, let the group know how much money was raised and remind people that there is still time to give $x
- After the event, send a group email or thank you note (recycled paper of course). Celebrate the donations received and let everyone know that they can still donate and send them a link to our donate page
How do I donate proceeds and get tax receipts for my guests?
- Cheque — send us the cheques and we'll send a tax receipt to the name and address on each cheque
- Cash — it is unsafe to send cash in the mail. Please write a cheque for the amount raised, or send in your credit card details (you keep the cash). We are able to provide a tax receipt for each donor if you include a list with their name, complete address, phone number, amount and date of donation, and name of fundraising event
- Minimum donation for a receipt is $5.00
How do I thank my guests?
- Make a special effort to thank all of your guests in person for their time, interest and donations
- Ask you guests to share their concerns about the environment with friends and family
- Send a thank you email a few days after the event. Ask who is going to host the next one!
Other questions? Email email@example.com or call 1-800-453-1533 or 604-732-4228