Changes under the surface of the deep blue sea are not easy to see, but the effects of industrial fishing, pollution, and climate change are having a major impact on our oceans. The David Suzuki Foundation is working through a variety of approaches and with many other organizations to ensure that our oceans are well managed and protected. The range of approaches we engage to support our healthy oceans objective include:
- As a member of SeaChoice, Canada's most comprehensive sustainable seafood program, we're helping Canadians take an active role in supporting sustainable fisheries and aquaculture at all levels of the seafood supply chain.
- Profiling the ecological wonders of the Pacific North Coast — look to our Pacific underwater ecological calendar and our Best Pacific Ocean Stories Ever series.
- Promoting marine use planning and the designation of marine protected areas through the principle of ecosystem-based management.
- Profiling industrial impacts and advocating for reforms to marine-related policies, regulations, and laws to protect ecosystem services.
- Promoting conservation and recovery plans for threatened and endangered species.
Salmon aren't just a menu item. They're a national treasure, worthy of... Read more »
Our Top 10 sustainable seafood guide helps you find the best sustainab... Read more »
Canada's Atlantic longline fishery for swordfish is about to receive a... Read more »
May 6, 2013 | Healthy Oceans
It's difficult to protect a whole ocean by yourself. Work together with Ocean Keepers to make a real difference. Read more »