We all understand the concept of financial capital — we pay for things we find valuable.
Natural capital extends that concept to ecosystems (like forests, fields, wetlands, lakes and rivers) and the flow of goods and services they provide.
Healthy ecosystems provide such essential services as:
- Filtering pollution out of our air and water
- Absorbing and storing water during storms and floods
- Cooling cities by absorbing heat and providing shade
- Regulating the climate by storing carbon in vegetation and soils
- Providing habitat for plants and animals
- Local food production
- Recreation and tourism